How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Cedars Villa, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Scenic Environment: We are located in scenic community of Spruce Cliff, just north of the Shaganappi Golf Course on four beautifully landscaped acres. Our single-story home is warm and personal with a country feel. Residents enjoy an abundance of natural sunshine within our six lush, green courtyards filled with various trees, shrubs and flowers.
- Pet Therapy: In addition to our 3 in-house cats, aquarium, we have a bi-monthly Pet therapy Program where animals from the local Pals organization come in and spend time with our residents.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Intergenerational Program: Our Intergenerational Program has elementary and daycare students from our local school spend an afternoon once a month with our residents.
- Art Classes: In our art classes, residents with dementia work on creating their own works of art and use art as a way to reminisce and socialize.
- Exercise Programs: We have weekly exercise programs specifically dementia related exercise programs and exercise programs for stroke victims.
- Laughter Yoga Session: We also hold a weekly laughter yoga session where residents can tap into the power of laughter.
- Drumming Sessions: Our drumming sessions are a way for residents with dementia to relax and connect with the therapeutic rhythm of drumming.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card on their table and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Monthly Outings: We have various monthly outings where residents enjoy going to places and events such as museums, restaurants, The Legion, stores, Calgary Stampede, and parks.
- Food Programs:Residents enjoy a variety of food programs such as breakfast clubs, BBQ's in the courtyards and supper clubs.
- Gardening: Residents help out with our numerous courtyards planting flowers, watering and weeding to keep them lush and beautiful.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Speech Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Respiratory therapist
- Art Therapist